TOP FICTION READS OF 2020
• The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, @tjenkinsreid 💃🏼
100% lived up to the hype. One of my favorite romances and friendships I’ve ever read.
• Dominicana, @writercruz 🇩🇴
Ana broke my heart over and over again. A young immigrant girl has her family’s future squarely on her own shoulders. I’ve never wanted to hug a character more.
• The Vanishing Half, @britrbennett ♊️
Stories that center around sisters always have my heart, including ones with relationships as complicated as Stella and Desiree’s.
• Ring Shout, @pdjeliclark 🏹
This was such a thrill to read. I loved the inclusion and deep respect of oral tradition, elders and their wisdom, and history.
• The Song of Achilles, @madeline.e.miller ⚔️
I knew what was going to happen and I still cried. The final scene with Patroclus and Thetis was perfection.
• Such a Fun Age, @kileyreid 📱
Some of the most clever and well done character writing I’ve read this year.
• The Deep, @rivers.solomon 🧜🏿
I love this third iteration of the mythology originally created by Drexciya. Such a gut wrenching take on generational trauma and community healing.
• America is Not the Heart, @_elainecastillo 🇵🇭
An incredible family saga with a focus on one woman’s many lives. I really appreciate the inclusion of Filipinx history/NPA and it’s impact on our main character.